Thursday, July 8, 2010

Christmas and the Battle of the Bulge - 27th December 2009

I’ve been on holiday for 10 days and I think I’ve already put on about 10 kilos. Why? It’s xmas, and for some reason, xmas is celebrated with way too much food and way too much alcohol.
Christmas dinner consists of 3 types of meat, maybe some stuffing, some roasted veggies, which are actually just there for colour and for something else to pour gravy onto.
Desert is even more calorific, there are several dishes that involve cream – full fat, whipped cream and let’s not forget the chocolate.
This is ok, as Christmas only comes once a year right? Just the one day out of 365. Plenty of other days of the year in which to eat salad and go for a jog.
Except that , I am onto my 5th xmas dinner ... and counting.
Does anyone have just one xmas dinner anymore? Are there any more traditional families that celebrate xmas with just the one meal on xmas day followed by leftovers on boxing day?
I know that isn’t the case with my family.  My first xmas dinner was with Dad and his wife. This was a week before xmas because her children would be elsewhere on Christmas day.  Then because my brother was unable to make it to that meal, he came over the next night with his family and we had xmas dinner again. Earlier that same day I had visited my aunty who was having an early xmas dinner because they would be out of town on Christmas day also.
So I had eaten 3 full on xmas meals within 24 hours with gravy and desert – oh and alcohol of course – lots of alcohol.
Then there was actual Christmas day which was another proper xmas dinner with desert and wine – even though we were camping! And then boxing day with my partner’s family which was more amazing food and desert.
In between all of this, we have been eating a mixture of leftovers and fast food, because we are on holiday and that is what we tend to do when on holiday.
I still have 2 weeks left to go of my holiday and a few more family dinners to attend...
After all of this I will need a holiday from food!
My weightwatchers plan officially starts tomorrow so maybe it’s time to start counting my points and actually watching my weight.
Just as soon as I finish this packet of skittles.....

No comments:

Post a Comment