Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm finally getting married!! - 2nd November 2009

Darren and I have been engaged for almost 5 years.....

On saturday we were at the mall and I spotted a ring that looked good. I have been half searching for the perfect wedding ring for 5 years. It has to match my engagement ring of course - a simple band just wont do darlings.
The first one I saw wasn't as perfect as it could be but it got us thinking... It is about bloody time we just got this wedding thing done so we went to the next store and I DID find the perfect ring - it matches perfectly. So we put the ring on layby and got home and started planning...
All of our family live in New Zealand. So our options are: get married in new zealand  - This means we would have to invite EVERYONE which is about 200 people - the costs would skyrocket and it would be stressful planning it and I would get all bridezilla .... NO. not an option.

option two - get married in a registry office in melbourne and then announce it when we go home for christmas.. "merry christmas, btw we are now married" This would by far be the cheapest and least stressful option. But apparently it's rude to exclude your family (so sayeth the husband to be)

option three - Have a celebrant come to our house to do the ceremony and invite our immediate family members (and their partners and kids) and advise them they are under no obligation to attend considering it is a 3 hour plane trip away and accommodation costs etc etc.

we decided on option 3 and the date is set for June 5th - this coinsides with Queens Birthday long weekend in NZ and also it's winter so the flights are cheaper. so we have considered the financial strain on the family and tried to accommodate as best we can. We send off an email to tell people to save the date.

However, the first thing my mum says when she calls?  "You realise your wedding is 6 weeks after Latham's???" (Latham is her husband's son - his wedding is not even on my radar) "sorry" is all I could say about that.

You can't please everyone.

But anyway - the planning is so far going nicely. It is going to be a relaxed family day (total of 21 people if all invited attend). Nice and intimate and cheap yet elegant.
I will keep you all posted on the plans as I go.

It's all very exciting really

No comments:

Post a Comment