Thursday, July 8, 2010

OMG - I was like so almost nearly famous! - 13th September 2009

So I get this email from a reporter from the Herald Sun last week. Apparently he had been reading my rantings about AGL. That's right, the rantings in this very blog,

my blog! Someone I don't even know is reading my blog? This very blog. Someone I'm not related to or is on my friends list! That's amazing.
So I do a little interview with him over the phone for the paper, then he asks for a photo..... um no. I have the flu, I am in my pyjamas and covered in two species of snot, (mine and Millar's) and am definitely not wanting my photo taken.

So, interview all done and I'm quietly excited about my name appearing in the newspaper the next day. And then I get a message on kidspot from another reporter from Today Tonight. yeah, that show on channel 7. yeah that's right on the TV !!!! They want ME on the tube!!
Like OMG.
I politely declined an interview for the very same reasons that I declined the photo, still in pyjamas and still covered in snot.

The next day I get another call from Today Tonight as they had read the Herald Sun and wanted to ask me again to be on TV. This time they got someone else to call me. He tried to tell me it would be fun to be on tv.

*sigh* being hounded by the media is so exhausting darling.

I declined again but promised an exclusive when I'm feeling better.
I might wait until Barbara Walters calls.

I thought it would be a bit hypocritical going on Today Tonight, when I spend most nights making fun of it (still watch it though). I often see some poor woman on the show complaining about some stupid thing and she looks like an overweight bogan with a bad dye job and all I hear is "whinge whinge whinge". And I usually make some comment like. "Jeez! Surely she knew she was gonna be on the telly, couldn't she have put some makeup on or brushed her hair?".

I get this from my mother who is constantly commenting on the standard of dress on people appearing on TV. "oh my god, what is she wearing? She looks ridiculous!" My mum thinks everyone on TV should wear dress pants with a nice top and a blazer. Preferably in dark or neutral tones, something understated. but not brown. I call it the TV uniform.

I realised that if I agreed to be on TV that my flu would cause me to make hideous fashion decisions (to my mother's horror) and make me think that dark cranberry lipstick with my gold eyeshadow is exactly the look to go for.
Right now my hair is a beautiful shade of blueberry at the top and a washed out blueberry/rich chocolate/ muddy brown at the end, it's hideous. I would be that overweight bogan, and we all know that the camera adds 10 pounds. crikey.

I think I made the right decision. But I was very nearly almost famous.
No autographs please.

6 comments:

  1. Not to worry I would have missed it, can't stand TT or A Crappy Affair, but I do love to watch them on Media Watch most weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found you via the Fibro,

    We were recently on TV for a house makeover. It was a good experience overall but I wouldn't do it again - especially the way it was presented by the host. I wanted to punch her. The story itself was good though, but of course what I didn't realise was that I opened the forums to have a go at us and we had a number of insulting things said about us.
    Good for you in saying no to being on TV. As I said before, I wouldn't do it again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - surely you could have just popped a blazer on over those jamies and been good to go???

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! I always think the same things about those shows. A pack of chip-on-the-shoulder whingers.
    Was great your rants were heard, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking with my PR hat on, TV viewers may well remember what you wear and your body language more than what you say, so you should certainly choose with care! And most female politicians seem to favour suits in fairly strong colours for their TV appearances. Over from the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete