Thursday, July 8, 2010

Peace, love and Mung Beans - 7th September 2009

So I'm driving around in the Ford Territory SUV and I'm starting to feel bad about my carbon footprint.  Maybe I'd feel better if I had 7 other people in the car to fill the seats. I look at people at the bus stops and wonder if I should pick them up. But that's crazy. If it was raining it might be a nice gesture.. maybe.

When hubby and I first arrived in Melbourne we didn't have a car.  We used public transport or walked everywhere. We did this for 18 months which includes my entire pregnancy and the first 9 months of Millar's life. We were on our high horse about how carbon neutral we were. And we had recently given up smoking and hanging out in bars so we were extra specially smug about how awesome we were.So maybe I'm in carbon credit from all that time on my high horse.
So I can drive this beast around and rev it at the lights and not care. I use cloth nappies... most the time... and I recycle, I have 3 minute showers and I have thought about getting a worm farm and planting my own vegie garden, ... and it's the thought that counts right? So I'm probably ok with mother earth.
Who am I kidding? I'm not the hippy I wanted to be. I'm not even the hippy I try to convince others I am. I'm probably not even the hippy I tell myself I am. I don't even like mung beans!!!

But the Ford is sooooo nice. It drives beautifully and smoothly. Millar and hubby both fell asleep during a drive to Ocean Grove yesterday. And regarding fuel consumption it is pretty good. I get an average of 13L/100k. That's normal everyday driving. I would thoroughly recommend this car to anyone with more than two kids. There is plenty of space for them and all their stuff and the reverse camera means you will never reverse over a tricycle.
So I can still be a hippy in this car. The fuel consumption is ok and there is plenty of space on the body of the car to paint flowers and peace signs. I bet the Ford is WAY greener than the VW combi ever was! So There!
Peace, Love and .... eww no, I still can't do the mung beans, two out three ain't bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment